At MySoil® we do not produce or manufacture fertilizer products, but rather connect DIY’ers to vetted products developed by vendors specifically for the DIY market.
BioCharken is a soil amendment designed to improve soil texture, water retention, and increase organic matter and soil carbon. Its primary use is as a soil amendment and topdressing in lawns or gardens.
- One 45 lb bag covers up to 4,500 sq ft
- Analysis is 84% composted poultry manure + 15% carbon
- Great for improving soil structure
BioCharken is biochar charged by chicken droppings. You will likely not find a soil amendment like this anywhere else online. Here's how it's made:
Biochar is porous and soaks up much of the emissions from the droppings. Farmers spread biochar in their chicken houses as a portion of the bedding. This is healthy for the chickens and healthy for your soil. Biochar is an excellent soil amendment as chicken droppings are loaded with nutrients.
It takes about 12 months for the chickens to prepare BioCharken by fully charging the biochar. Next, it’s removed and run through a machine that turns lumpy black “chicken poo infused biochar” into something a little more manageable that you can put through your spreader. These prills can easily be incorporated into your garden or landscape soil or spread across your lawn.
This is NOT a Perfectly Prilled Product
Please look at the pictures of this product before purchase. It's not a beautifully constructed fertilizer. It's not meant to be. Not only will you find the biochar chunks in this mix, but you also will find stick pieces and some small wood chips here and there, even the occasional feather. All-natural, but not perfectly shaped either. This is why when applying to lawns we recommend a pretty much "wide open" spreader so the materials can fall through better.
BioCharken can be applied at any time throughout the growing season as long as the ground is not frozen. Here are some suggested uses:
- Lawns: One suggestion for use would be if you are aerating your lawn - this is literally opening up holes in the lawn so applying a nice, heavy app (20 lbs/1,000) will help it to incorporate a little easier.
- Overseeding:: BioCharken can be used at the same time you are aerating and overseeding your lawn in the fall. Note: BioCharken is not a replacement for starter fertilizer.
- Sandy Soil Repair: BioCharken can be incorporated to add structure at any time of the season.
- Gardens: Incorporate BioCharken into your garden soil at a rate of 10-20lbs/1,000 sq ft yearly.
BioCharken can be used on all grass types, such as the following:
Cool Season Lawns - Kentucky Bluegrass, Turf Type Tall Fescue (all fescues), Ryegrass.
Warm Season Lawns - Bermuda, St Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia.
|Coverage||A 45 lb. bag covers up to 4,500 sq ft.|
Apply at 10-20 lbs 1,000 square feet of lawn area.
Do not apply if heavy rain is expected.
Apply to a dry lawn, and water into turf within the first 48 hours with 1/4" of rainfall or irrigation.
Sweep excess off sidewalks and driveways back into your lawn/garden.
- Label: Bio-Charken PDF Label
- Spreader Settings: Granular Spreader Settings
- Package Includes: One 45 lb bag.
- Storage: Store in dry conditions away from moisture. Can be stored for up to 2 years.
|Shipping costs||A 45 lb. bag covers up to 4,500 sq ft|
|Stickers||Yes, free stickers are included|
Alaska (AK), and Hawaii (HI)
|Typical Delivery time||
4 - 7 business days
|Cancel / Return / Exchange
All sales are final, with no cancellations, returns, or exchanges.